Bulimia Nervosa Treatment in Irvington, New York
If you would like one of our counselors to contact you, please submit the form below.
Please select a valid form
All communication is confidential & secure.
Bulimia nervosa is a serious mental health condition that affects people of all ages, races, genders and cultural backgrounds. This common eating disorder is characterized by a recurring cycle of binge eating and purging behaviors, such as self-induced vomiting, excessive exercise and laxative abuse. Many individuals who have been diagnosed with bulimia nervosa also experience negative body image, depression and experimenting with fad or otherwise extreme diets.
For those interested in bulimia nervosa treatment in Irvington, New York, Monte Nido provides comprehensive day treatment in a safe and home-like setting. While in treatment, our clients have access to comprehensive medical and psychiatric care.
Seeking Treatment for a Bulimia Nervosa Diagnosis in Irvington, NY
Before you begin the search to find a treatment center for bulimia nervosa disorder in Irvington, New York, we believe it is important for families to learn more about the health consequences associated with this disorder. Because bulimia nervosa has many potentially harmful long-term health effects, early intervention is often essential for long-term recovery.
Common Signs and Symptoms
- Individuals with bulimia nervosa typically develop a preoccupation with weight loss and counting calories. Because of this, they can become uncomfortable eating in public or around others and start to isolate themselves over time.
- It is also common for people with bulimia nervosa to begin hiding or hoarding food away to eat in private. Parents and loved ones should look for signs of disappearing food, empty food containers or wrappers and children eating meals alone in their room.
- Loved ones may also notice that trips to the bathroom, during and after meals, become more frequent. Other noticeable signs, such as vomiting after meals and continued flushing in the restroom can also indicate the onset of bulimia nervosa symptomlogy.
Long-Term Bulimia Nervosa Effects
- It is common for women with this type of eating disorder to develop menstrual irregularities as their condition worsens. In fact, they may experience irregular periods for years or eventually stop having a period altogether. While most people start having menstrual periods after recovery, it can take some time before their cycle regulates.
- The recurring cycle of self-induced vomiting associated with bulimia nervosa can result in severe dehydration and electrolyte imbalances in the body. These electrolyte imbalances have an effect on all of the major organs but when left untreated, can have a serious impact on the heart. Common heart issues stemming from bulimia nervosa include an irregular heartbeat, valve prolapse and even heart failure.
- Frequent vomiting can also cause medical complications on the throat and digestive system, causing the esophagus to become torn or ruptured. This can result in severe bleeding from the esophagus in a condition called Mallory-Weiss syndrome.
The Good News?
Compassionate Treatment for Bulimia Nervosa Disorder
is Available in Irvington, NY
The village of Irvington is a beautiful, relaxing and tranquil getaway located just 20 miles from New York City along the eastern bank of the Hudson River. At Monte Nido, we believe Irvington is an ideal location for those looking to find recovery as they enter our residential treatment program. While a bulimia nervosa diagnosis can be frightening, with the help of comprehensive bulimia nervosa treatment and a strong support system at home, recovery is possible.