Binge eating disorder is a very serious mental health condition that can affect people of all ages, sexes, genders, races and cultural backgrounds. The condition is characterized by recurring binge eating episodes where an individual consumes large amounts of food in a short period of time. It is common for people to experience feelings of low self-esteem and shame during or after a binge. However, unlike other common eating disorders, people with this condition do not engage in any compensatory behaviors like self-induced vomiting or laxative abuse.
Get The Help You Deserve
Submissions are confidential. We will call you soon.
Are you looking for a comprehensive day treatment binge eating recovery program in New York? At Monte Nido, we are proud to offer the highest level of medical care and psychiatric care outside of a hospital setting. Our binge eating disorder treatment program has been designed to help clients find the tools they need to enjoy a long-term recovery, in a welcoming and home-like setting.
Call Today for a Consultation
Navigating a Binge Eating Disorder Diagnosis in New York
Before parents and loved ones begin to search for “binge eating disorder treatment near me” online, it’s a good idea to learn more about common binge eating disorder side effects. With the help of early intervention, successful binge eating disorder recovery is possible.
Common Signs and Symptoms
- Binge eating disorder may cause great fluctuations in an individual’s overall weight and body shape. This may lead to feelings of depression, the development of a negative body image and can result in fad dieting as well.
- As the condition develops, those with binge eating disorder may engage in certain food rituals that include cutting out entire food groups and only eating foods in a particular order. These new rituals may result in feelings of embarrassment and may lead some people to withdraw from their regular social commitments.
- Individuals with binge eating disorder typically hide their condition from loved ones by hoarding or hiding food. Empty food containers and wrappers hidden or disposed of in secret may indicate there is an issue.
Potential Long-Term Health Risks of Binge Eating Disorder
- When you have binge eating disorder, your risk of becoming overweight or obese is greatly increased. When you consume large amounts of often unhealthy foods without properly exercising, it is completely normal to experience great fluctuations in weight.
- People with this type of eating disorder often to binge on foods that are high in sugars and fats and low in protein. Over time, this can not only lead to the development of obesity but may also increase the chances of developing serious health conditions like type 2 diabetes.
- The development of obesity may also increase the chances of dealing with other serious symptoms. Some of the most common binge eating disorder side effects include sleep apnea, heart disease, cancer, high blood pressure, and arthritis.
The Good News – Binge Eating Disorder Therapy in New York
New York is one of the most beloved and well-known cities in the world. The city also has a rich history, diverse arts, and cultural center and much more. At Monte Nido, we love New York because it is an ideal retreat for our clients. With a convenient location and plenty of opportunities to retreat, New York is a great place to discover the tools you need to begin binge eating therapy.