Bulimia Nervosa Treatment in Eugene, Oregon
If you would like one of our counselors to contact you, please submit the form below.
Please select a valid form
All communication is confidential & secure.
Bulimia nervosa is a serious mental health condition that affects people of all ages, sexes, genders, races and socioeconomic groups. The condition is characterized by a recurring cycle of binge eating and purging behaviors like self-induced vomiting, excessive exercise, and laxative abuse. Individuals with the condition often experience feelings of negative body image and a lack of self-control surrounding food and eating behaviors.
For those seeking bulimia nervosa treatment in Eugene, Monte Nido provides medical and psychiatric care to clients seeking treatment for this disorder. Our day treatment bulimia nervosa program is designed to help clients find the confidence and tools they need to take the inital steps toward recovery in a comfortable and home-like setting.
Navigating a Bulimia Nervosa Diagnosis in Eugene
Before families search for the right bulimia nervosa treatment center in Eugene, it’s a good idea to take the time to better understand the potential health consequences associated with the disorder. While bulimia nervosa can develop at any life stage, it most often appears during early adolescence and young adulthood. In fact, in the US, bulimia nervosa affects approximately 4.7 million females and 1.5 million males.
Common Signs and Symptoms
- Family members should look out for signs of binge eating that include hiding or hoarding food, skipping mealtimes and eating alone. Additionally, common purging behaviors to be aware of include frequent trips to the bathroom during and after meals, the signals of vomiting, wrappers of containers for laxatives and diuretics.
- Individuals with bulimia nervosa will often find excuses to skip meals, and they may feel embarrassed about eating around others and start to isolate themselves to avoid eating in public. Development of food rituals is also very common, where a person will only eat one type of food or cut certain food groups out altogether.
- Extreme concern over their body shape and size is also common. Family and friends may notice that the individual engages in fad diets frequently and may wear baggy or concealing clothes as well.
Potential Long-Term Health Risks
- Severe dehydration is a very common bulimia nervosa side effect. If left untreated, severe dehydration can result in electrolyte imbalances that can lead to heart complications, including heart palpitations and an irregular heartbeat or arrhythmia.
- Self-induced vomiting can result in damage to the esophagus. Forceful vomiting can tear at the lining of the esophagus, causing severe and sometimes life-threatening bleeding. Bright blood in the vomit is a sign of an esophageal tear and may indicate the development of Mallory-Weiss syndrome.
- During binge eating pisodes, people often choose foods that are high in sugars and fat. And while they typically purge the food later on, over time they can develop type 2 diabetes as a result of high blood sugar levels.
The Good News – Treatment for Bulimia Eating Disorder in Eugene
Eugene is a friendly and welcoming city that is nestled towards the southern end of the Willamette Valley in Oregon. Located around 50 miles from the Oregon coast near the confluence of 2 gorgeous rivers, Eugene is a great destination for outdoor enthusiasts. At Monte Nido, we love Eugene because it provides our clients with a tranquil place to find the tools they need to begin the bulimia nervosa treatment process.