The National Eating Disorder Association states that it is suspected that binge eating disorders (BED) are likely the most common type of eating disorder in the country. Women are most affected by the disorder, with as many as 3.5 percent of females who have the disorder. However, men are also commonly diagnosed with BED, with an estimated 2 percent having the disorder. Binge eating disorder therapy must include a comprehensive plan that is specifically designed for the individual. At Monte Nido in Los Angeles, we focus on offering treatment for BED through our day treatment program.
Get The Help You Deserve
Submissions are confidential. We will call you soon.
An Up-Close Look at Binge Eating Disorder Treatment
Every person who seeks binge eating disorder recovery may come to the conclusion that they need help for different reasons. Additionally, every client who does get treatment for their disorder can have different underlying needs that have to be addressed through treatment. The best treatment plan for BED will always be a multi-level approach. The multi-level approach to binge eating disorder treatment in Los Angeles includes treatment methodologies like:
- Nutritional and food counseling to help clients understand their relationship with food
- Interpersonal psychotherapy to encourage open communication of feelings and emotions
- Cognitive behavioral therapy, which focuses on things like binge eating triggers and learning to control associated behaviors
- Family therapy that involves loved ones who act as a support system at home
- Dialectical behavior therapy, which focuses on stress management and emotion regulation
The Common Symptoms of Binge Eating Disorder
Even though binge eating disorders are among the more common eating disorder types, they are also among the most misunderstood. It is a common misconception that anyone who overeats has this disorder, or that there is no difference between someone who has a disorder and someone who eats a lot. However, receiving a proper binge eating disorder diagnosis in Los Angeles is far more complex than just looking at how much or how often someone eats. Some of the true symptoms that characterize BED include:
- Losing control while eating or feeling an inability to stop eating
- Taking in so much food at one time that it causes actual physical pain or discomfort
- Eating in a state during a binge that seems almost unconscious
- Consuming food in a rapid, uncontrollable way
- Feeling embarrassed by binging behavior but still being unable to stop
Along with the symptoms that can characterize a binge eating disorder, there can also be physical side effects. Some of the most prevalent binge eating disorder side effects include things like problems with obesity, gastrointestinal problems, and persistent nausea or upset stomach.
The Advantages of Binge Eating Disorder Recovery in Los Angeles
Los Angeles is one of California’s most noteworthy cities. The sprawling city is recognized as the capital of television and film, but beyond the shadow of the Hollywood sign, there is much to see, do, and discover in the area and a lot of interesting people to meet. If you are ready to make a change in your life, seeking binge eating disorder therapy in Los Angeles could prove to be one of the best decisions you ever make.