Binge Eating Disorder Treatment in Boston, Massachusetts
If you would like one of our counselors to contact you, please submit the form below.
All communication is confidential & secure.
Officially recognized as an eating disorder in 2013, binge eating disorder is now believed to be the most common eating disorder among Americans. In fact, studies show that between 5 and 8 percent of adults in the US will develop binge eating disorder in their lifetime. Characterized by reoccurring episodes of binge eating large amounts of food in a relatively short period of time, binge eating disorder is unique in the fact that those with the disorder do not normally engage in any purging behaviors. However, they often experience feelings of shame, guilt and mental distress after binge eating.
Binge eating disorder is a very serious mental health condition that affects people of all ages, genders, races and cultural backgrounds. But many people who develop the condition do so in adolescence or early adulthood. However, with the help of a strong support system and early intervention, binge eating disorder recovery is possible. Our day treatment binge eating disorder recovery program in Boston is designed to help clients take the initial steps toward full recovery.
Navigating a Binge Eating Disorder Diagnosis in Boston
Before families search for “binge eating disorder treatment near me,” it’s best to learn more about the disorder, how it may affect friends and family and the potential long-term health consequences those with BED may face.
Common Signs and Symptoms
- People with binge eating disorder engage in recurring episodes of binge eating large amounts of food in a short period of time. They often do so when they aren’t physically hungry and experience a lack of self-control when binge eating.
- Fluctuations in weight, both up and down are common for those with binge eating disorder. This can lead to an obsession with body shape, overall weight, and physical appearance.
- People with binge eating disorder may also develop certain rituals around food and mealtime. They often engage in fad or yo-yo dieting and may cut out certain food groups altogether or only eat a single food group.
Binge Eating Disorder Side Effects
- The reoccurring cycle of binge eating can eventually lead to obesity. Obesity is linked to a number of long-term health complications including heart disease, diabetes, certain cancers, sleep apnea and more.
- When people have binge eating episodes, they often eat foods that are high in fats and sugars over foods that are high in protein or fiber. Over time, this can cause in high blood sugar levels and result in the development of type 2 diabetes. While treatable, this is often a lifelong health condition.
- Heart complications are also very common for those with binge eating disorder. Because frequent fluctuations in weight can put a great deal of stress on the heart, people with this type of eating disorder may experience high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
The Good News – Binge Eating Therapy in Boston at Monte Nido
While binge eating disorder is a serious mental health disorder, recovery is possible with treatment and a strong support system. At Monte Nido, we are proud to offer comprehensive binge eating disorder treatment in Boston. As one of the oldest and most historic cities in the US, Boston is known for having a lively cultural center and a wide range of activities. This makes the city a great location to take a pause, recharge and begin your journey with binge eating disorder therapy.