Binge Eating Disorder Treatment in Agoura Hills, California
If you would like one of our counselors to contact you, please submit the form below.
Please select a valid form
All communication is confidential & secure.
Binge eating disorder was officially recognized as a mental health disorder in 2013 and is now understood to be the most common eating disorder in the United States. This severe and potentially life-threatening eating disorder is characterized by reoccurring episodes of binge eating, the feeling of loss of self-control during a binge and a lack of purging behaviors. Individuals with this common eating disorder may also deal with feelings of shame, guilt, and distress after a binge.
Like other common eating disorders, binge eating disorder affects people of all ages, sexes, genders, races and cultural backgrounds. If left untreated, binge eating disorder can result in major health consequences. However, with the help of early intervention and a strong support system, binge eating disorder therapy can be extremely successful. Binge eating disorder recovery can be a long process that requires a team of qualified professionals and in many cases access to both medical and psychiatric care.
Finding Treatment for a Binge Eating Diagnosis in Agoura Hills
Before you begin your search for “binge eating disorder treatment near me” it is important to learn more about the condition, how it can affect clients and their families, as well as the potential long-term health consequences. While binge eating disorder can develop at any age, most often individuals develop this and other common eating disorders in adolescence and early adulthood. In America, research suggests that about 8 percent of adults will have binge eating disorder in their lifetime.
Common Signs and Symptoms
- Individuals with binge eating disorder will engage in reoccurring episodes of binge eating, where they consume large amounts of food within a relatively short amount of time. During a binge, they may feel a lack of self-control and often binge even when they aren’t physically hungry.
- It is common for those with the condition to participate in fad dieting, often cutting out entire food groups or only eating certain foods. Development of food rituals is also common. For example, individuals may not allow food to touch, use excessive chewing at meal times and only eat particular foods.
- Many individuals with binge eating disorder also experience great fluctuations in their overall body weight and shape.
Binge Eating Disorder Side Effects and Long-Term Health Risks
- Research shows that two-thirds of people with binge eating disorder are above recommended BMI for their height and stature. Being overweight can lead to obesity and many associated health risks including diabetes, cancer, sleep apnea and more.
- Fluctuations in weight, common to BED, can make it much harder for the heart to pump blood to the body and lungs. Additionally, increased BMI raises the risk of high blood pressure, high blood sugar, and high cholesterol.
- People with binge eating disorder may choose foods that are high in fats and sugar and low in protein. This can lead to the development of type 2 diabetes, which can become a lifelong illness.
The Good News – Eating Disorder Recovery in Agoura Hills
Although binge eating disorder is a very serious mental health condition, with the help of early intervention and a strong support system, a successful recovery is possible. Several different binge eating disorder treatment options used at Monte Nido have been shown to be effective in treating both common eating disorders and co-occurring disorders such as anxiety, depression and substance abuse. These binge eating disorder treatments include:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
- Individual and Group Therapy
- Experiential Therapies
- Mindfulness Techniques (Yoga and Meditation)