Anorexia Nervosa Treatment in Newport Beach, California
If you would like one of our counselors to contact you, please submit the form below.
All communication is confidential & secure.
Anorexia nervosa is one of the most prevalent types of eating disorder. The National Eating Disorder Association estimates that 0.3 to 0.4 percent of young women and 0.1 percent of young men need anorexia nervosa treatment. This disorder is not just one of the more common eating disorder subtypes, it is also the one that has one of the highest mortality rates. Therefore, seeking help for anorexia nervosa disorders in Newport Beach is critical.
An Examination of Physical Effects of Anorexia Nervosa
Anorexia nervosa is one of the most dangerous eating disorders with a high mortality rate. The physical symptoms of not eating and not taking in the proper nutrition can be extremely severe, and people who enter anorexia nervosa treatment centers can have many physical ailments. Even though most people assume the primary physical symptom of anorexia nervosa is being thin or severely underweight, the other physical symptoms of the disorder can be much easier to spot. The primary physical symptoms that can lead to an anorexia nervosa diagnosis include:
- Low blood volume or abnormal blood counts
- Chronic fatigue, abnormal sleeping patterns, or insomnia
- Downy hair that grows on various parts of the body
- Menstrual cycles that are interrupted, unreliable, or non-existent
- Dental deterioration
- Lowered pulse rate or low blood pressure
- Anemia and low iron levels
- Bluish coloration of toes and fingertips
- Hair loss
- A difficulty with getting warm
People who have a problem with anorexia nervosa are also oftentimes found to have co-occurring disorders, especially emotional and psychological problems, such as anxiety or obsessive-compulsive disorder. Therefore, anorexia nervosa treatment must involve a multitude of different treatment approaches and methods.
The Proposed Underlying Risk Factors of Anorexia Nervosa
There is no exact cause of anorexia nervosa that can be pointed out. However, there are multiple things that contribute to the development of the disorder, and all of these possible contributing factors are usually examined during anorexia nervosa recovery in Newport Beach. Some of the most common underlying factors include:
- Genetics – Genetic factors can be a major underlying factor in a person’s predisposition to develop an eating disorder.
- Temperament – Certain aspects of an individual’s personality can be a risk factor in the development of anorexia nervosa. For example, people who have a tendency to think obsessively, are neurotic, or are impulsive may be more at risk.
- Trauma – Experiencing trauma, whether as a child or as an adult, can be an underlying risk factor.
- Dieting Obsession – An obsession with dieting can be a risk underlying the development of just about any eating disorder.
A Look at the Benefits of Anorexia Nervosa Treatment in Newport Beach
Newport Beach, California is known as one of the most welcoming places in the state. The sunny atmosphere and the upbeat disposition of the diverse local crowd will make any outsider feel right at home, and this is important to your emotional well-being through eating disorder treatment. With on-the-beach attractions, serene ocean views, and much to do and see, your time spent in Newport Beach for anorexia nervosa treatment is bound to be a rewarding experience.