Anorexia Nervosa Treatment in Eugene, OR
If you would like one of our counselors to contact you, please submit the form below.
All communication is confidential & secure.
Anorexia nervosa is a serious mental health condition that can affect people of all ages, sexes, genders, races and cultural groups. Characterized by caloric intake restrictions and dramatic weight loss or the lack of weight gain in adolescents, individuals with anorexia nervosa have difficulties maintaining a weight that is deemed medically appropriate for their age, height and stature. It is also common for those with the condition to experience a negative or distorted body image. Because of this, they restrict the number of calories eaten daily.
For individuals interested in residential anorexia nervosa treatment in Eugene, Monte Nido offers the highest level of medical and psychiatric care available outside of a hospital setting. Our comprehensive eating disorder treatment programs are designed to help clients discover the tools they need to begin anorexia nervosa recovery in Eugene.
Call Today for a Consultation
Navigating an Anorexia Nervosa Diagnosis in Eugene
While it’s understandable that an anorexia nervosa diagnosis can be very frightening for families, full recovery is possible. However, before you begin the search for the best anorexia nervosa treatment centers, it’s important to understand the potential long-term symptomology associated with the disorder.
Common Signs and Symptoms
- Many people with anorexia nervosa dress in layers or loose clothing to hide their dramatic weight loss. They may be preoccupied with their body weight, dieting, food, calories, and fat grams as well.
- Individuals with anorexia eating disorder may cook meals for others without ever eating themselves. They sometimes make excuses for skipping meals and may eventually avoid any social situations that involve food, leading to increased isolation and feelings of depression.
- Their obsession with food can also result in the development of different food rituals. People with anorexia nervosa disorder may only eat specific foods for every meal, chew food excessively, eat foods in a certain order and cut out entire food groups like carbs and sugars.
Potential Long-Term Health Risks
- Women with anorexia nervosa disorder may find that their menstrual periods are infrequent as their condition develops. And in many cases, they can stop having their monthly periods altogether. Anorexia nervosa treatment usually helps the body to regulate once again but it can take months to recover.
- Malnutrition and other nutritional symptomology are common for people who first experience anorexia nervosa symptoms in childhood or their teen years. For growing adolescents, this can result lead to osteoporosis, a debilitating bone condition that increases the chances for experiencing frequent bone fractures and breaks.
- Over time, fad dieting and calorie restriction can lead to severe dehydration and electrolyte imbalances that affect the major organs. The heart is often the most vulnerable to electrolyte imbalances, increasing the risk of irregular heartbeat and heart failure.
The Good News – Anorexia Nervosa Recovery in Eugene
Eugene is one of the most popular and welcoming cities located within the Pacific Northwest. Known for its many outdoor spaces and a lively arts scene, Eugene is an ideal retreat for visitors from around the US and beyond. At Monte Nido, we believe that this laid-back and beautiful city is a great place to begin the anorexia nervosa recovery process.