Why we incorporate Yoga
- The founder , carolyn, found it healing in her own recovery from exercise addiction,which began when she recovered from anorexia. at first she cried when she went to a class thinking she was not burning calories or staying fit, but then it opened her up to a whole new way of being in her body, using it, appreciating it that she had never even stopped to notice
- Clients need a way to use and appreciate their bodies. Some programs dont provide any form of movement or exercise but at MN we think it is important to actually teach our clients to appreciate their bodies and learn to use movement as a way to a healthier body and mind . Yoga is a form of exercise but it is not focused on burning calories but rather on flexibility and strength.
- Yoga is a practice of uniting body, mind and the divine. We find yoga helps clients to see the connection of these three things, not just on the yoga mat but in life.
- A yoga practice has much more to offer than just the physical poses or asanas. Yoga teaches clients to learn to breathe, pay attention, tune in, know and respect their bodies and practice the concept of acceptance vs resistance.
- Yoga helps clients de stress, re focus away from the problems of the day or week to being in the moment. This helps a chattering run away mind calm down. A good yoga practice can help teach clients how to focus.
- Yoga can be a form of meditation which has been demonstrated to show all kinds of benefits. Many eating disorder clients cannot just learn a silent meditation practice..they are too afraid to close their eyes, too anxious to sit still, yoga is a way into a mindfulness practice that has many of the benefits of meditation.
- There are several yoga postures that actually help clients with various physical or mental problems. There are poses for digestion, for elimination, for back problems, for anxiety and countless others.
- Learning the balancing poses in yoga helps clients connect with what is going on inside themselves.On days when a client is very anxious the balancing poses will be harder. Yoga becomes a teacher or messenger.
- In yoga you must work with your own body and at your own pace. It does you no good to try to do poses like someone else, you have to do what is right for your body, learning your own strengths and weaknesses and learning how far to push and when to let go. In this way yoga tells clients a lot about how they are dealign with life and a good yoga teacher helps clients take these lessons off the matt and into the world
- A yoga practice can give a client a community of like minded people. We have found that many of our clients upon returning home find a yoga studio where they can not only continue to practice yoga but where they find an instant community of people.