We work to gently, but consistently, challenge the influence of the eating disorder around food and eating, and ultimately, help clients to the realize excitement and joy that a healthy relationship with food can provide.
We are sensitive to each individual’s food issues and provide flexibility in our menus.
We offer vegetarian choices and take into account any diagnosed food allergies. Each client is individual in terms of food fears, likes and dislikes. We work slowly and empathetically with all food issues. Clients go through the level system at their own pace. Clients are not forced to eat any particular food, however, we are careful to help each client understand the differences between food preference and eating disorder-driven choices.
As clients progress through our level system they increasingly participate in dealing directly with food i.e., portioning, self-serving, grocery shopping, planning and cooking independent meals and participating in our Shop and Cook night.
Every Monte Nido site has a chef who creates meals that align with health and healing, and menus are created In a way that challenges disordered eating while allowing clients to enjoy food with minimal stress. Foods created are wholesome, healthy and balanced – and they provide an excellent starting place for transition to ‘normal eating.’ In addition to eating a variety of foods in treatment, we work to minimize fears around foods by asking clients to eat a variety of foods, in a variety of settings. We aim to help our clients to eat flexibly, consciously, and according to taste preferences, rather than being limited to a select number of ‘safe’ items.
Each client’s meal plan is highly individualized.
We work slowly with clients who are extremely afraid of food and have a limited variety in their diet. We also help clients manage food cravings, appreciate hunger, fullness, and satisfaction, and move away from eating disorder behaviors that result from compromised nutritional status. We assist all our clients in establishing a healthy functioning metabolism, allowing them to eat and enjoy the foods their bodies desire and need.
Similar to that of food, nutrition education and support are individualized to address client needs. Nutrition therapy provided by our team of dietitians will support recovery, assist with moving away from eating disorder ideals, and encourage healing your relationship with food and eating.
Cards are often displayed at place setting when the group gathers for a meal. Intentions are set and the client connects to thoughts or values that define their healthy selves.
- Our nutrition program provides education, dispels myths, challenges distortions and helps alleviate fear and anxiety around food, meals and social situations involving eating and weight.
- Our dietitian collaborates with the treatment team to establish nutrition and weight goals and develop a meal plan for each client. We provide meal supervision and support around structured yet flexible menus and eating experiences. Clients participate in a variety of food activities such as; shopping, portioning, meal planning, cooking and restaurant outings.
- Our program helps clients establish eating patterns that can be continued after leaving the program.
- Nutritional Rehabilitation & Stabilization through Nutritional Supplements, Nutrition Education and Counseling; including body image work, body & soul group, meditation and yoga.
- Allergies and cultural, or religious-based food limitations are accommodated on an individual basis.